Thursday 15 January 2009

Step one

“I will write everything in a blog!” I guess this was the sentence I claimed the most in the last month! I know; the total change with Schumacher, Vipassana, México- so much to tell and so… little time? Words? What?
I guess it starts and ends with what is the purpose of the blog – talk about me or my project? In the end I want that what I do is exactly what I am; which allways possible isn’t. So the confusion starts. Well, I will try, and then will see! (I’m not even sure that English should be the language!)

Everything set in motion with a question: do I really believe in what I’m doing? And then some others: why I want so much to go to México, why I want so much Chiapas? And why communities?! I’m used of my car, my house, my clothes, beauty creams, parties, everything! Why this?
Fortunately Rita, a friend from my job in Faculty, told me about Schumacher. So much she told me about or so much I truly believed on her, that I went there, for three weeks, for Earth Jurisprudence course. What?? Well, what I learned in the end wasn’t only from this course. Wasn’t only from this time in Schumacher, since one month later I was there again. Really really in the end (and this will sound the most kinky ever) I understand that nothing besides love guides you. Love from other people, love that you have inside and just release in all ways, love from nature; all that guide you perfectly in your journey. Because with love everything really starts to make sense.

And I learnt so much! And so important things. In the end I learnt the importance of listen me; and listen me is listen the other people, is listen nature, the world. So everything starts to make sense: how can we believe in a society that people don’t know what nature is about? What are the grounds of that society? What can it value? And looking around me and at me, I can see that we value what people have and not what they are. Can we be different from that?
And little by little enrooted nonsense concepts started to be weakened and replace for not so factual-proven concepts but more grounded ones: grounded in nature, in love. Why aren’t they so factual? Well, because everything is impermanent and no such a thing as eternal exists; because of that there aren’t consolidated TRUES, but it can exist solid roots, that give birth to an always changing tree – one that changes with age, with time, with environment…

Still didn’t have the words to thank all of people that I met in Schumacher. Still don’t know how to do that. I can say that they changed my life, they gave me the love to do it. Without knowing me, without any reason, all of them, in their particular way, found a way to grab my hand and take me further in my own path. How can you thank such a thing?

By knowing all these people there’s nothing else that you can believe then that the world can be changed. For better.

It was also by being in Schumacher that I started to realise the amazing power of meditation. And here, Constantin just gave me the strength to go further: so there was I, on the 9th December, at Vipassana Meditation Centre, in Hereford.

In this course of Goenka, talking in any form, reading, listen music, computers, are forbidden. Ten days with the minimum contact with the world, ten days when you truly are with yourself. Ten days meditating ten hours per day.

Almost everyone that knows me was really misbelieving in me not talking for ten days – I can’t be in silence for ten seconds!! Well, in the end I didn’t miss it once. In fact, in the 10th day, when you can talk, I just retired to my room, I just didn’t want to start talking yet (perhaps because I knew that then it was unstoppable!!)

Vipassana is a meditation that believes that all suffering can disappear by observing the truth. So instead of concentrating in an image, word, mantra, Vipassana tells you to concentrate on your sensations. When you do so, you realise that everything is impermanent. Your cells are always changing (and you can feel that!), everything in the world is always changing; the world is all vibrations, vibrations caused by the changing of its own elements. So everything in the world is impermanent.
When you realise that you also realise that you can’t stop forever bad things to happen to you and also you can’t always have what you desired – so in end, where is happiness? Well, as all of us seem to know but not to experience, happiness is inside of you. When something happens to you is you who qualified it as good or bad; that’s why different people react differently from the same experience. And here is the key for happiness: be equanime. Change the reactive pattern of your mind for one of balanced observation.

Stop generation aversion, stop generating craving. And observe what is happening, observe what are your sensations, and only then act; but don’t react. Because when you do so, you generate suffering. By complaining, exploding in anger, invading with passion, you loose your balance and generate a seed of suffering. And then, when that situation or something similar happens, you just react; but this time worse because you have more hanger/rage/sadness/anxiety/passion inside of you. And this is one never ending growing snowball.

When I was there I could feel my hanger, my anxiety, my passion, my desperation. And by being persistent I could just observing the sensations it provoke in me and let them go. Nor even once I wanted to leave (also because of all the strength Roland, Constantin, Yvan, Joana gave me).

Whenever I was feeling some feelings regarding give up, I just used that for my analysis, for training my equanimity.

And I also felt such an enormous happiness!!! I just wanted all of you there for me to share it! It was a never ending, truth, powerful happiness; all I really wanted was to share with you this knowledge, this experience so then you can feel the same! And because of that I just was more exciting to continue – if I learnt everything, I could be really able to share it. But I learnt it is a long path in which I was just giving the first step.

8 comments:

Polly Higgins said...

Joana - how wonderful it is to read your journey - you are on the express train to higher consciousness! It's wonderful to tap into these higher truths - universal truths - and realise that we create our own destiny, and more importntly the power is vested within us to shape our world into a better more interconnected place based on love for this one glorious planet. Keep going girl - I am with you on your journey for sure.

Rita said...

Hello my friend, this is my first comment in your blog :-)

I really understand you...you go to schumacher and there you feel home...it seems like you already know all that people for a life time...

And why? Why is it like that? Maybe because there people get connected and forget all the dogmas that rule their lifes day after day...and that gives them time to love the one next to them.

I once saw a quotation from Mother Theresa of Calcutta that said “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” This is so true in our society...

Since schumacher I foun out that we really dont know anything of the world we live in...but like you until today I cannot explain or write what schumacher gave me in just one week...It is so difficult...But it is maybe because schumacher gave me myself and I did not know who myself was...and I still dont know I am learning day by day...

I think you are in Mexico in a perfect time of your life and I also know that you will be a ray light wherever you are!!!

Spread the love my dear friend!!!

Lotgs of love, hughes and kisses!!!

I miss you!!

Rita

Sister Jo said...

Boa, Joaninha, puseste-me a chorar às 10 da manhã no meio da sala de trabalho!!!!!!
Não vou escrever em inglês porque há palavras que simplesmente não se traduzem como a "saudade" que já sinto.
És a pessoa no mundo que eu mais admiro...admiro as tuas palavras, a tua persistência e, acima de tudo a tua força de vontade!!!
Parece-me que te estás a encontrar verdadeiramente ou pelo menos a tentar encontrar o caminho certo...para seres feliz!!!!!
Amo-te muito
Joana (a sister)

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your new life project, Joana :) I already added you to my list of "Friend's Blogs".

By the way, pedrogoisgomes[at]gmail.com is not my e-mail :)

Kisses, Pedro Gomes

bestabestial said...

Bibi!!!
Não te esqueças de nada daquilo em que acreditas agora... Estou muito orgulhosa de ti e espero que consigas tudo o que pretendes, apesar de já teres conseguido muito!

Tenho saudades tuas

Leonor

ART B said...

mete lá o 3º post que eu vi ontem de madrugada...e deixei para ler hoje...ai ai ai isso não se faz.
***

MasterP said...

O mundo fica bem melhor com pessoas como tu amiga.
És uma fonte de inspiração e representas um pouquinho de tudo aquilo que eu gostaria de fazer mas simplesmente não tenho nem a tua coragem nem a tua determinação.

KEEP ON GOING ON YOUR "QUEST FOR MEANING".

Com saudade,

Vânia (Master de todas as Pussies!)

Joaninha said...

I couldn't ever expected such warm reception... Thank you!
But now you also know why I so truly believe of a positive turn point in the world: because of people like you! Yes, there's war. But there's also so much love in so many people, like you!
Thank you and please share your life with me so that we can learn togheter!